unhurried space... freeing our souls to saunter, linger, frolic and soar in the stream of God's love

Friday, August 06, 2010

Unhurry Up™ #96



"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, 
with all your soul, 
with all your mind, 
with all your strength." 
~ Luke 10:27

The first and greatest command is summed up in love...and if we have not love we are noisily irksome according to 1 Cor 13 right?

Here are some reflection questions -  mostly borrowed from a 12 step recovery article - but with some of my own added. As you consider these, it's not just trying to figure out how to have a "balanced" life or even to come up with an elaborate plan of how I can love God better. Instead, lean in and listen to how the Lord is inviting you to a life of love in the areas of your body, emotions, mind and relationships. Letting God define what a life of love looks like is more important than self-imposing huge "shoulds" "oughts" and pious expectations upon ourselves.

Over the next few days I will post the questions from the 4 different quadrants of loving God...today we start with "strength":

  • Am I honoring my body? (What does that look like? How do I know when I'm not?)
  • Have I listened to its aches and tensions? (What are they telling me? How will I respond?)
  • Did I take time to rest? (And is the rest adequate?)
  • Did I get some exercise? (How much exercise am I happy with?)
  • Did I eat a balanced meal?(or how many times did I eat well this week?)
 Loving God with all our strength means we have physical energy reserves to pay attention to and connect with important people and important tasks around us. How can an exhausted, fried, worn out, carbohydrate and sugar overloaded body truly be present to others (or self, or God)?

Ask God,
  • "How are you inviting me to love you with my strength/physical body?"
  • How do you feel about His invitation?
  • What one thing might you do this week to respond to his invitation?

Join the Unhurried Revolution!


Unhurry Up™

www.mysoulrefresh.com

No comments: