unhurried space... freeing our souls to saunter, linger, frolic and soar in the stream of God's love

Monday, June 30, 2008

True Worship



I read The Gift of the Red Bird by Paula D’Arcy last week. What a beautiful snapshot of a deepening spiritual journey. I’ve had a lot of ongoing reflections from the small, poetic testimony.
D'Arcy makes a comment about taking communion with a friend. She writes: "I was fully present in the moment, and so it is truly worship." As I've walked through my days this week, being "fully present" in various moments, it has been a delight to see all the ways I've worshiped the Lord. I was fully present with delight in watching the dogs frolic in the waves on the beach: I truly worshiped.
I was fully present in listening to a friend: I truly worshiped.
I was fully present in enjoying each bite of a chile relleno: I truly worshiped.
I was fully present writing in my journal: I truly worshiped.
I was fully present in listening to the sky crackle and thunder last night: I truly worshiped.
These acts of worship - simple, ordinary events made holy because God gifted me with the ability to be present.
Would that I would, in church, be fully present in song, sermon and fellowship.

www.paulagamble.com

1 comment:

Melissa w/ Soul Mates Photography said...

Paula! I love that I heard this straight from your mouth before I read it :)
What a truly wise woman you are.
Melissa