unhurried space... freeing our souls to saunter, linger, frolic and soar in the stream of God's love

Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday - Falling To Pieces

“And Jesus told them,
Before the night’s over, you’re going to fall to pieces because of what happens to me…But after I am raised up, I, your Shepherd will go ahead of you, leading the way to Galilee…”
~Matthew 26:31-32 The Message

There are times in the journey where Jesus says, “You’re going to fall to pieces because of me.”
But wait, I thought Jesus would come make life orderly and balanced?

At what point do you tell new followers this? At what point do you tell them there are times when it’ll seem like following him brings an unraveling of heart, mind, family, friendships and all of life seems disoriented? How many times will you and I be tempted to desert Jesus because it’s too much…it’s just too much.

This is not a journey for the faint of heart. And yet – a faint heart surrendered to the Shepherd is always lead through the valleys – of weeping, trouble and even death. Oh – the absurdity of it all. But love is sometimes absurd and illogical. The greatest of tales – Romeo and Juliet, Mark Anthony and Cleopatra, Jesus and humanity - show the lengths of true love’s journey.

Oh Lord, may you help my heart to receive the fullness of your absurd love for me. And I’m not relishing falling apart – have been there – it was hellish. And yet you are my Shepherd – who has and will continue to go ahead to lead me out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how true, how true.
at the end you prayed "...lead me out." i would have to say for me that i think of it as Jesus' leading me "on" or "through" (as you stated earlier in the blog) b/c my definition of "out" is not to be in the mess anymore!
"the only way out is through."

paula gamble said...

Yes - Psalm 84 talks about our pilgrimage through the Valley of Baca (weeping) and how we go from strength to strength. Psalm 23 - as we walk through the valley of the shadow of death. We so easily want a way out that is easy and painless - but walking through with Him yields the greatest of gain - being near Him.